$100.00 Linux Laptop
- Screen diagonal 11.6 inch (like a netbook)
- Processor: 64Bit ARM - motherboard the size of a Raspberry Pi Single Board Computer
- RAM: 2GB
- Storage: Solid State Flash 16GB (upgradable to 32GB or 64GB)
- micro SD card slot
- Wireless: WiFi 802.11bgn + Bluetooth 4.0
- Operating System: GNU/Linux
- Desktop: Plasma by KDE (Neon - tweaked for the Pinebook
The laptop is built to order by adding your email to a waiting list. When your name reaches the top of the queue, you get a confirmation to place the order. The laptop arrived a couple of weeks after my confirmation/order. It came in a tyvek envelope in which contained a plastic "parts box" with the laptop in it along with the power supply that looks like a USB wall wart, but with a barrel plug connector.
The Neon/Plasma distribution opens with an install process during which you create your user/sudo account. The laptop sips power. The screen resolution is higher than my old eyes could handle, but the system settings allow a scaling reduction which gives text I can handle.
My plan is to use this laptop on trips and conferences with the intent to use it primarily for writing. I will not need huge storage. I am not planning to store many photos or videos, for sure.
If you want to get a laptop "tomorrow", then this isn't for you, but if you are adventuresome, willing to wait, the price is hard to beat!